25.11.2009

ATP - ROGER TO END YEAR AS WORLD NO. 1!

It took Roger a moment to get going today, but when his engine was warm he showed a fantastic performance, defeating Andy Murray at the ATP World Tour Finals 3-6, 6-3, 6-1.

"It was a great atmosphere and I thought I played a great match," said Roger. "Andy was playing really well in that first set, I couldn't read his first serve and he made it very hard. When you are behind against the top players it's very difficult and I was a bit worried because I've lost so many three setters against him. But I picked up my game and when he dropped a bit, I took advantage. It's given me real confidence for my next match."

Murray's weapon in the first set was clearly his serve, which proved just a bit too strong for Roger. But our champ kept his cool, waiting for his chance and then peaked when it mattered, winning the last six games in series!

Roger has not booked his semi-final spot quite yet, but is of course very close to doing so. But what is certain is that Roger will once again end the year as the world's number one player! His victory today earned him enough points to keep Nadal at a distance. Roger is only the third player in history - after Jimmy Connors (5) and Pete Sampras (6) - to start the new season at the top of the ranking.

0 comments:

Post a Comment