Federer welcomed break after early Indian Wells exit

Roger Federer turned the disappointment of a third-round exit last week at Indian Wells into a benefit, saying Thursday the unexpected time off was just what he needed before the ATP Miami Masters.

World number one Federer won the joint WTA and ATP Florida event in 2005 and 2006 but smashed a racket in a rare flare of temper here a year ago as he lost a semi-final to Novak Djokovic.

His defeat last week in the Indian Wells third round at the hands of Cypriot Marcos Baghdatis was also a shock to the system, but the Swiss star said he was able to decompress as he made the move from California to Miami.

"I've had many years where I run from one thing to the next that also I welcome having all of a sudden more days off, more days of practice, more days where I can just wake up and see what I really want to do instead of having the perfect plan the whole time," Federer said.

"It's nice to adjust that for a change, if there's anything positive to take out of a loss."

The reigning Australian Open, Roland Garros and Wimbledon champion is fully primed for his first match on Saturday night after a bye awarded to all seeds.

Federer says his lung infection from February is also old news.

"I felt good ever since I got the green light from the doctors," Federer said. "I've been practicing hard before Indian Wells and also now in between, so no issues whatsoever. I'm fighting fit again."

World No. 1 Roger Federer will begin his quest for a third Sony Ericsson Open title on Saturday, March 27 (Session 8) at 8:00 p.m against Nicolas Lapentti.

Date: 25.03.2010, Source: AFP


Post a Comment