Next up: Round Four

Roger defeated France's Florent Serra (ATP 61) in a pair of tiebreaks today: 7-6(2), 7-6(3).

Roger displayed some awesome tennis, starting the match well as he raced to a 5-2 lead. But he had to accept a break by his opponent, who managed to level the set at 5-5. As the set went into the tie-break, Roger regained the momentum and spared two points to close it by 7 points to 2. The second set brought an early break in the third game for our maestro, who then consolidated the lead with a double break for 4-1. Serra once again broke Roger to close in the gap, and successfully levelled the set once again at 5-5 with consecutive service breaks. Roger, surprised by the Frenchman's tenacity, failed to grab another break and looked for closure in the tie-break, which progressed as expected, giving Roger a mini-break lead at 3-1. With a lead, he closed the 7-6(2), 7-6(3) match in one hour and 32 minutes of play.

Roger will play Tomáš Berdych in his third match at the Sony Ericsson Open on Tuesday not before 9.00 p.m. (local time).

Roger Federer after the match:

“Sure, I still have to tidy up my game a bit, having had one break up in the first and two breaks up in the second; it's normally something that doesn't get away from me. But I thought he came up with some good stuff, and that made it difficult for me to close it out… I don't think I gave it to him. I think he went to get it, which is a big difference.

“The most important [thing] is to come through the rounds. So I don't have a preference how it's done. I always like to come out with confidence, that's for sure. So it's nice to having won two breakers, because that doesn't happen every match you play.”

“All in all, I’m thrilled to be through,” he said. “At the end of the day, that’s what counts.”

The crowd included Rafael Nadal, a potential opponent in Sunday’s final.

“It has always been a lot of fun playing against him,” Federer said. “I hope that day is going to come soon again.”

Date: 30.03.2010, Source: RF Official and ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment