Roger upset by Berdych in a thriller

Roger had to admit a defeat against Czech Tomas Berdych in Miami on Tuesday, losing a tight match 4-6, 7-6(3), 6-7(6).

"It's no secret that I struggled the last five matches I played in the States," Roger said. "I fought, and tried everything I could, but my game is lacking something right now. I'm lacking timing. I had so many chances, but I never felt great all night. When I don't play my best, it's hard to judge my opponent, but I knew the danger. This only fuels my desire to go to the practice courts and figure out what's wrong, and get better."

Roger had beaten Berdych in eight of their previous nine encounters but paid the penalty for an error-strewn display in which he could only convert two of 12 break point opportunities. After a rather unspectacular first set which Berdych eventually won, Roger could only close the second in the tie-break after having failed to make use of his nine break points. The two players met on the same level once again, breaking and re-breaking, with Roger eventually facing the first match-point of the match at 6-5 in the decider. After a successful challenge on the side of the Czech and another match-point for Roger in the tie-break, our champ eventually had to face the three-set defeat.

Roger will now head back to Europe, where the Internazionali BNL d'Italia start towards the end of April.

Date: 31.03.2010, Source: RF Official

0 comments:

Post a Comment