Roger Federer closes in on milestones

Roger endured a first tense set and two rain delays today before making it through to the second round of the French Open in Paris today. He defeated Alejandro Falla of Colombia 7-6(4), 6-2 and 6-4. Defending champion Roger Federer is one victory away from recording the 700th tour-level match win and the 150th clay-court win of his career after he reached the Roland Garros third round.

Roger did not play his best tennis during the opening set, dropping his serve at 5-5. But as they say 'it is not a break until you hold your own serve' - our champ went on to Break Falla right away, taking the set into a tie-breaker where he scored four brilliant winners to secure the set. Roger then moved up 2-1 before rain interrupted play for 15 minutes. He looked unfazed as he came back on court to win the second set despite still struggling with his first serve. Showers interrupted play a second time for about an hour after Falla won the first game of the third set. Roger broke with a winning forehand return in the third game and closed out the match at love on his serve.

"I thought the first set was good, actually, from both sides," said Federer. "I think he really pushed me to come up with something special, which I couldn't do in the first set. I definitely got a little bit lucky to get out of that one.

"I think he played tough. I mean, both times when I played him before I had much more control from the baseline. But he was able to today to take the ball early and guide it into wherever he wanted to play it to. I thought it was impressive what he was able to do today."

Roger's opponent in round three will either be Germany's Julian Reister (ATP 165) or Belgium's Olivier Rochus (ATP 62). Roger has never played Reister before and boasts a 7-0 head-to-head statistic against Rochus.

Date: 26.05.2010, Source: RF Official & ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment