Roger cruises through and qualifies for ATP World Tour Finals

Roger showed a strong and entertaining performance in the first round of the US Open, defeating Argentine Brian Dabul 6-1, 6-4 and 6-2.

"I've never lost night sessions. I feel very much at home here," Roger said. "I always come out and played some good tennis here over the years. I've been in six straight finals. I would like to go there again this year. The path is long and rough, we'll see how it goes. I'm excited to be back and playing well."

Roger has yet to lose a night session in Flushing meadows (stat: 16-0). It took him two games to definitely find his way into the match, but he was all in after that. Roger blasted 18 aces to none for Dabul and cranked out 46 winners to his opponent's four. And he had the entire stadium on their feet when he reprised the between-the-legs winner he hit last year in the semi-finals against Novak Djokovic.

Roger will plays Germany's Andreas Beck (ATP 104) in the second round. He has never player the 24 year old on the Tour before.

Roger has secured his place in the season-ending Barclays ATP World Tour Finals, to be held at The O2 in London, 21-28 November. The Swiss clinched his berth after beating Argentine Brian Dabul in the first round of the US Open Monday night.

"I am very happy as it is the ninth consecutive year I have qualified for the year-end event," Federer said. "I have played in a lot of different venues during my career and I can say they staged a fantastic event at The 02 last year. I look forward to returning there in November and finishing the season strong."

Date: 31.08.2010, Source: RF Official and ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment