Federer exacts revenge over Djokovic

As of next week, Roger will occupy the second spot behind Rafael Nadal in the world rankings - thanks to a 7-5, 6-4 victory over Novak Djokovic in the semifinal of the Shanghai Rolex Masters today.

Roger came through an hour-long first set at the Qi Zhong stadium to regain form and defeat Djokovic, who had stopped Roger's quest for another US Open title in the semi-finals a few weeks ago.

Today Roger battled for almost an hour before breaking Djokovic in the 11th game of the first set after saving four break points himself to level at two games apiece. He then swiftly finished off the set and then broke, to power through the second in a show of strength. Roger went up a double break, but Djokovic clawed one back to no avail as our champ secured his 48th win of the season, putting him into his fourth final of 2010.

"I think the first set could have gone either way today," said Federer. "It was really an open battle. I think for 10 minutes he was a bit out of it and I was able to take advantage of that. I think that cost him the match looking back because, of course, he was playing a bit more relaxed at one point which made him somewhat more dangerous.

"But I was able to serve it out because I've been in that position so, so many times in the course of my career, I don't get too rattled through those kind of things or his play. I'm happy the way I was able to finish it off. It was a good match overall for myself."

Roger is aiming for his 64th career title in tomorrow's final where he meets Andy Murray. Murray beat Roger in the Toronto final two months ago and holds a 7-5 lead in their career series.

Date: 17.10.2010, Source: RF Official and ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment