Roger Federer in Basel final

Roger only needed 70 minutes to defeat Andy Roddick in Basel tonight, making a clear statement with a 6-2, 6-4 victory.

It was the first time after their memorable encounter in the Wimbledon final 2009 that Roger and Andy played each other today. Roger took a super quick lead, breaking Roddick when he first had the chance. He served 13 aces and was clearly the better player at the Swiss Indoors this time.

As Roger faces Novak Djokovic in Sunday's final, he has the opportunity to take revenge for the defeat against the Serb in last year's final, where Roger was deprived of a fourth title in his home town.

"Novak’s playing great at the moment and we just played three really good matches in a row, in Shanghai, the US Open and in Toronto," said Federer. "It’s going to come down probably to a couple of points here and there. I hope the spectators get behind me and that that’s going to make a difference this year."

"It’s always a lot of fun playing Andy Roddick. We’ve played each other over 20 times in our career, but we hadn’t played each other a lot lately so I think that’s why we were both a bit unsure at the beginning how we were going to play," explained Federer. "I really got off to a good start and could play more freely than he did. I was able to get a read on his serve and just felt comfortable, even when I went down a break in the second set. At the end I really played good tennis so I’m very happy with the way it went today.”

Date: 06.11.2010, Source: RF Official and ATP

1 comments: