Federer wins all Swiss battle

Roger Federer was made to work for a quarter-final berth at the Qatar ExxonMobil Open on Wednesday, battling past Swiss compatriot and qualifier Marco Chiudinelli 7-6(5), 7-5 in one hour and 49 minutes.

The 2005 and 2006 Doha titlist could not clinch a service break in a tight first set, fought back from a 4-5 deficit in the tie-break. Chiudinelli led 3-1 in the second set before he recovered again and clinched victory with a smash.

“It was really difficult today, under the circumstances,” admitted Federer. “Playing such a good friend is so rare for me. I'm happy the match is in the past and I can look forward."

In the pair’s previous meeting at the 2009 Swiss Indoors Basel, Federer beat Chiudinelli 7-6(7), 6-3. Federer will next meet Serbia’s Davis Cup final hero Viktor Troicki. The sixth seed from Belgrade struck 17 aces past Teimuraz Gabashvili in a 6-3, 6-1 win over 51 minutes.

Federer, who admitted to watching the doubles rubber Serbia’s win over France last month, added, “I think we've only played once, if I'm correct. I hardly heard of him before then. Obviously he's improved [a] big deal since then. He's beaten some good players, so I'm sure it's going to be a tough match.”

Date: 05.01.2011, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment