Roger Federer win season opener

Roger booked his spot in round two of the Qatar Open thanks to a 7-6(3), 6-3 victory over Thomas Schoorel (ATP 168).

The Dutch qualifier showed no fear in the first set, playing consistent tennis. Roger even had to deal with three set-points on his own serve at 4-5. Roger did not hesitate in the tie-break, though, clearly winning it 7-3. Roger then went on to break Schoorel's serve with his first break point in the match - going 3-1 up in the second set. Schoorel didn't find his way back after that, as Roger even showed his trademark between-the-legs winner as he served out the match.

“I was really impressed on how he just came out,” said Federer. “I thought he was a better player in the first set. I really felt I started getting into the match once I saved those break points, so I just got a bit of a better read on his serve. I was able to stay calm, go after what I wanted to do [and] played really tough tennis.

“I thought I hit actually a pretty good ball. I didn't make too many unforced errors. I served well when I had to. Overall I thought it was a real solid performance.”

Roger's opponent in the second round is his fellow countryman Marco Chiudinelli, also from the area of Basel (Switzerland), the two know each other since they were kids. The only encounter between the two players so far took place in Basel in 2009, with Roger defeating Chiudinelli in two sets.

Date: 04.01.2011, Source: RF Official and ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment