Federer: I can win more Grandslams

Despite losing in the quarter-finals of Wimbledon for the second straight year on Wednesday, Roger Federer remains upbeat about his chances to claim one or more Grand Slam titles in the future. When asked whether or not he sees himself hoisting another major title, a confident Federer said, “I think I definitely can, yes. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't the case.”

Federer won the first two sets against Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, but his French counterpart stormed back to hand the Swiss his first loss in 179 Grand Slam matches when holding a two-sets lead. The No. 12 seed rallied to win 3-6, 6-7(3), 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 and Federer credited Tsonga’s ability to step up when it counted. “I really did play well, and I also thought Jo played an amazing match, as good as I've seen him play for such a long period of time. You can only respect that,” said Federer. “It was a great match from both sides. To talk bad about this match would be unfortunate.”

After breaking Tsonga in the opening game, Federer did not see another break point. The six-time Wimbledon champion believes there wasn’t much more he could do to reverse the outcome of the match “I can't blame my poor returning or my poor serving or my poor movement or anything like that in this match, and that makes it a bit easier to digest.”

Added Federer, “I'm actually pretty pleased with my performance today. It's kind of hard going out of the tournament that way, but unfortunately it does happen sometimes. At least it took him sort of a special performance to beat me, which is somewhat nice.”

The Swiss, who last won a major title at the Australian Open in 2010, is looking to capture a Grand Slam Championship for the ninth straight year, and will have one more chance to extend the streak at the US Open. In comparing his form to the past season, Federer finds that he is playing just as well, if not better.”The game is there. I'm happy. I'm healthy. I feel much better than sort of a year ago. That's very encouraging,” Federer assessed. “Even though I took a tough loss today, I don't feel discouraged in any way. I think that's key right now, to not let anything get to me.”

His attention now shifts to the Davis Cup, where Switzerland will square off against Portugal from 8-10 July for a chance to play in the World Group Playoffs. “I'll work harder than ever, the way I usually do, and hopefully come back extremely strong for Davis Cup first of all, and then for the American summer again.”

Federer has won 11 summer-hard-court titles since 2003, which include five triumphs at the US Open, four titles at the Western & Southern Open in Cincinnati event and two trophies at the Rogers Cup in Canada.

Date: 30.06.2011, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment