Federer believes he could have been a footballer

Tennis ace Roger Federer can never forget his other childhood sporting love of football, with the Swiss reportedly ready to fly to Manchester this week to watch home club Basel face mighty Manchester United.

The match at Old Trafford could well be a possibility for Federer, who is taking some time off from the game and is most likely expected back at the Swiss Indoors in Basel in a month.

British tabloids report that football-mad Federer believed he could have made it on the pitch had his iconic tennis talent not burst to the fore as a youngster. Despite dedicating himself to a history-making career on the court, the beautiful game has never been far from his thoughts.

"I'd like to think I could have been a footballer. I was an attacking midfielder or striker. I was a good leader and I think I could have made a good captain," Federer has said in reference to his football interests.

"My first heroes were Italian players like Roberto Baggio and Toto Schillaci. After that I used to love watching Ronaldo, Luis Figo and Zinedine Zidane.

"Tennis took over really for me when I was 12. My tennis schedules were so busy that I couldn't combine them with other sports, including football. I'd like to think I could have been a footballer if I hadn't had to give up."

Date: 27.09.2011

2 comments:

  1. He can do every thing because i know he is a great player and god gifted capabilities he has.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete