Federer defeats Gasquet for 799th win

Roger Federer defeated 16th-seeded Richard Gasquet 6-2, 6-4 Thursday in Paris to progress to the BNP Paribas Masters quarter-finals. The win marked his 799th career victory. He will look to become just the seventh player to reach 800 wins on Friday.

Meeting for the 11th time, Federer broke Gasquet to begin the match. A double fault in the seventh game by the Frenchman gave the Swiss a double break advantage and he quickly closed out the set.

Gasquet settled in the second set, breaking Federer back after going down an early break. But the Swiss continued to press with his return, and broke the 25 year old for the fourth time to lead 4-3. He would eventually seal the victory in one hour and six minutes to claim his ninth win in 11 encounters with Gasquet. The victory also avenged a loss to the 20th-ranked Gasquet in Rome earlier this season.

"I thought him coming back in the second set was something somewhat normal," said Federer. "He had some great shot making there, but unfortunate for me. Those were some incredible forehands he hit there, and he deserved to come back into the match then. For me it was key to stay calm and wait for my chance, and I was able to bounce right back. I think I made him work hard today and had good offensive plays, and I think that's what got me through today."

Federer is coming off of his fifth title at his hometown event in Basel (d. Nishikori) and is bidding to win his first Bercy crown. It is the lone ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event currently on the calendar where Federer has not reached the final.

"Draws are really difficult here and it's not so simple just to cruise to a final like you think it is," said Federer. "Just because I've done five or eight at other places, it doesn't mean I have to make a finals here. I hope I can make it this year. I feel like my game is good enough for it. But then, again, depends if Juan Monaco and all the other players agree with that."

In the quarter-finals, the 17-time Masters 1000 champion will play Juan Monaco.

Date: 11.11.2011, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment