Federer eager to return to winning ways

In his last competitive match, World No. 3 Roger Federer left Rod Laver Arena with the disappointment of losing to Rafael Nadal in four sets in the semi-finals of the Australian Open sitting heavily on his shoulders.

Two weeks on, the 30 year old has regrouped and is preparing to lead Switzerland’s bid to win the Davis Cup trophy for the first time. The Swiss are set to play the USA this weekend on an indoor clay-court in Fribourg in the World Group first round.

"I am in a good state mentally and physically. I have had a great run since last year’s US Open; I had not lost until the other week," said Federer, who closed the 2011 ATP World Tour season with 17 successive wins, culminating in victory at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals (d. Tsonga) in London.

"It was a good period for me, and I hope I can get back in winning ways this weekend," continued the Basel native. "Here in Switzerland, it is nice we got home-court advantage, and we will try to make the best of it and see where it takes us."

Switzerland and the USA have clashed four times in the Davis Cup, with Federer contributing strongly to the European team’s only victory in 2001. The right-hander was playing in just his fifth Davis Cup tie and won both his singles rubbers and teamed with Lorenzo Manta for victory in the doubles as Switzerland triumphed 3-2.

"2001 was a big win for me and a tough tie within the team for Switzerland, but we came out on top," recalled Federer. "I think it was my first emotional outburst on a tennis court because I was so exhausted on Sunday after my singles, doubles and singles.

"It definitely got me on winning ways. I beat Pete Sampras at Wimbledon (in five sets). It was the start of great things for me, and I am happy to be playing in a tie again."

Date: 08.02.2011, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment