Federer: I always wanted to come back to Rotterdam

The fire still burns in Federer. He may be older, proud father of twins and no longer the world´s best tennis player, but where ever he goes, he always wants to win. Also in the ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament, to where he returns for the first since 2005. "It is one of the greatest indoor tournaments in the world. I remmeber how great it was, and I understand that it has only improved with Richard Krajicek in charge", Federer said shortly after his arrival from Switzerland.

Federer left Ahoy Rotterdam seven years ago with a trophy in his hands. But he has never come back to defend the title. due to various reasons, such as injuries, busy schedule and other commitments. "My goal was to come back", the former world number one apologized. It seemed to fit perfectly this year, with plenty of rest and good to incorporate in my schedule. It just felt good. Ever since my debut in 1999 I have always been happy and played well here. For tennis fans who think Federer is on his farewell tour there is good news. "Let them come and fill out the stadium, but I think I can be here a few more times".

Earlier it was announced that Federer would play his first match on Wednesday night against Frenchman Nicolas Mahut. The 16-time Grand Slam winner can use the two day´s rest. The past weekend he played Davis Cup in Fribourg, where Switzerland came out short to USA and lost 0-5. "Dissapointing of course", he admitted. "Especially because of the fact that we played in front of a home crowd. But the Americans played very well and there was a fantastic atmosphere".

Date: 13.02.2012, Source: Rotterdam

0 comments:

Post a Comment