Switzerland trails 0-2 against USA in Davis Cup

SWITZERLAND 0, UNITED STATES 2: Clay, Indoor - Fribourg, Switzerland.

John Isner stunned World No. 3 Roger Federer 4-6, 6-3, 7-6(4), 6-2 to give the visiting United States a 2-0 lead against Switzerland. "It's the biggest win of my life," declared Isner. "But what it means to me, is our team is up 2-0. Hats off to Mardy for winning the first rubber. It took a lot of pressure off of me."

After winning the third set in a tie-break, Isner pulled away from the home favourite, breaking the Swiss twice in the fourth set to notch his first win in three meetings against Federer. "I shouldn't take the court if I don't believe I can go out and win this match," said Isner. "I owe a lot to captain Courier. He was on me in practise all week. He told me to do all the right things. The way I played today, that's how I need to play in all of my matches."

Isner's win ended Federer's 15-match Davis Cup singles win streak. "I thought I played at a high level, with John," Federer said. "It's a tough loss. because we're down 2-0, but we're not down and out."

In the opening rubber, World No. 8 Mardy Fish rallied to edge Stanislas Wawrinka 6-2, 4-6, 4-6, 6-1, 9-7. "It was a great feeling to win the match after losing two [like this] in Austin last year and those hurt so bad," said Fish. "I thought for a second there I wasn't going to win, but snuck it out luckily."

Fish fired 15 aces, and struck 34 forehand winners to defeat Wawrinka in four hours and 26 minutes, evening his Davis Cup singles record to a 7-7 mark.

Mike Bryan and Ryan Harrison will attempt to give the Americans an unassailable advantage when they face Federer and Wawrinka in the doubles rubber Saturday.

Date: 11.02.2012, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment