Federer to meet Roddick in third round

Roger Federer will meet fellow two-time former Sony Ericsson Open champion Andy Roddick in the third round in Miami. Federer has a 21-2 FedEx ATP Head2Head record against the World No. 34.

Third seed Federer recorded his 23rd match win of the season by beating 19-year-old American wild card Ryan Harrison 6-2, 7-6(3) on Saturday afternoon. The Swiss superstar is bidding to capture his third Indian Wells-Miami title double (also 2005-06).

Federer, who led 5-2 in the second set before Harrison made a comeback, admitted, "I felt like I had to win the match like three times at the end, so I was relieved to come through. Beating against an American in America is always a big deal, because this is where they usually play their very best.

Federer has won 40 of his past 42 matches since the 2011 US Open semi-finals. He is only 825 South African Airways ATP Rankings points behind No. 2-ranked Rafael Nadal.

Looking ahead to his next match against Roddick, Federer said, "The head to head doesn't play a massive factor for me in every match I go into against Andy, because I know there's always a lot in Andy's racquet depending on how he serves. And if I don't play well, I know I won't win. So the pressure is there. That's what he can create with his game. This is why I never take a match lightly against him."

Date: 25.03.2012, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment