Federer sets Djokovic SF clash

World No. 2 Roger Federer set a semi-final showdown with top-ranked Novak Djokovic at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia on Friday, breezing past Andreas Seppi 6-1, 6-2 in Rome. Federer and Djokovic will face off for the first time since the 2011 US Open final four, when Djokovic saved two match points to edge the 16-time major champion in five sets.

Playing Seppi for the ninth time, Federer converted four of his eight break point opportunities, and hit 81 per cent of his first serves in play to remain undefeated against the Italian, advancing in just 54 minutes.

"I was happy with everything," stated Federer. "I knew Seppi being a favourite for the fans here was going to be a tough match. I was able to really take it to him right from the start, being aggressive, and it all played out. It's a nice win on clay for me."

The Swiss, coming off a triumph at the Mutua Madrid Open last week (d. Berdych), is bidding to lift his fifth trophy of the season, following successes in Rotterdam (d. del Potro), Dubai (d. Murray), Indian Wells (d. Isner) and Madrid.

The 30-year-old Federer holds a 14-10 record against Djokovic, but has dropped four of their past five encounters. Federer is 3-1 versus the Serbian on clay, having ended Djokovic 43-match win streak last year in the Roland Garros semi-finals.

"Tomorrow, I've got a chance against Djokovic," Federer said. "I'm looking forward to that match. It's another night session. I'm happy I'm playing so well on the court."

Date: 19.05.2012, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment