Federer: 2016 Olympics possible, depends on body

Roger Federer is leaning toward competing in the 2016 Olympic Games if his body holds up.

Federer, who turns 31 on Aug. 8, said Thursday his mindset includes Rio de Janeiro, but it will depend on his ability to stay healthy.

"There's so many moving parts," Federer said. "They also have a role in this decision-making but the mind still wants me to play, and I hope the body allows me to do it as well."

First up for the world No. 1 is the London Games, where he will try for his first gold medal in singles on a court he knows well. Federer's first match is against Colombian Alejandro Falla, who pushed the Swiss star to five sets in the first round at Wimbledon in 2010.

The seven-time Wimbledon champion teamed with Stanislas Wawrinka to win doubles gold in 2008. His best finish in the singles competition was a fourth-place showing in Sydney in 2000.

But this year's Olympic tennis facility is the All England Club, where Federer won his 17th Grand Slam title a couple weeks ago.

While Federer may be the favorite at the grass-court venue, the best-of-three format up to the Olympic finals could prove troubling. The margin for error is smaller with shorter matches, he said.

"We know the danger of the early rounds," Federer said. "I think, hopefully, once I'm able to get going and get in full flight on the court I hope I can be the favorite or I am the favorite because usually that's when I do play better."

Nadal has been hampered by injuries and withdrew last week. He returned to his native Spain after losing to 100th-ranked Lukas Rosol in the second round at Wimbledon, and has not played since.

Federer said he was "sad" that Nadal wouldn't be competing in London.

"It is a big blow to the tournament but he must have his reasons. I don't know if it was his knee or his preparation wasn't good enough."

"Because I'm sure he wanted to do that," he said. "I wish him a speedy recovery."

Asked if Nadal had talked to Federer about dealing with his injury problems, the world number one added: "I haven't spoken to him. I don't think he will call to discuss his problems with me! We are close but I wouldn't do that with him either."

"I'm sure he would have wanted to be here (at the Olympics). I wish him a speedy recovery and hopefully we will see him on the tour again soon."

Date: 26th July 2012, Source: AP

0 comments:

Post a Comment