Federer bullish about Australian Open chances

Roger Federer insists he does not care if people are writing off his chances for the Australian Open.

Federer will be seeded second for the first grand slam of 2013, but arrives at Melbourne Park having not played a competitive match in over two months.

While his rivals Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray returned to competitive action last week, Federer will be looking to become the first man since Andre Agassi in 1995 to win the Australian Open without playing a warm-up tournament.

But he is confident the extended break has left him refreshed and ready to return to action and insists he still has what it takes to add to his tally of 17 grand slams.

"If I'm second favourite, fourth favourite or eighth or whatever it might be it doesn't change much for me," Federer said. "I know if I'm playing well I can win tournaments."

"I love the pressure of playing the new generation who are coming up and improving quickly and I have to work harder than to stay at the top, or with the best."

"Longevity is the word here that I am looking for and that is what I am striving for this year in 2013 to hopefully keep on playing for many years."

Date: 8th January 2013, Source: ESPN

0 comments:

Post a Comment