Federer's manic Monday in Rotterdam

It was just another manic Monday for Roger Federer in Rotterdam. The World No. 2 participated in a number of activities on and off the court as he prepares to defend his ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament title.

“They asked me if I could do most of the things today, and I said that’s no problem for me. Sometimes, it’s easier for me to do it all in the same day,” said Federer. “I’m happy to help get the tournament promoted.”

Federer began the afternoon by visiting the Giant Tennis Racquet in Rotterdam’s city centre with tournament director Richard Krajicek. There, Federer unveiled his own 2012 winner’s flag during a flag parade at Boompjes with the mayor of Rotterdam, Mr. Aboutaleb, in celebration of the tournament’s 40th anniversary.

Federer then returned on-site for his pre-tournament press conference, four television interviews, a practice session with David Goffin and an autograph opportunity for fans at the Tennis Plaza. In the evening, Federer dressed up in a suit to visit with sponsors and then took part in the tournament’s opening ceremony on centre court with Krajicek and wheelchair tennis star Esther Vergeer.

“In doing the press, there’s some flexibility to do it,” Federer said. “Some love it on the Saturday or Sunday before, others like it on the Monday. It really depends on when you’re playing. I’m very flexible. We talk about this a few weeks ahead of time and then when I get here, things are clear.”

Federer holds a 21-5 record in Rotterdam, lifting trophies in 2005 and 2012.

“I had a wonderful time here last year. I'm very happy to be back,” said Federer. “I feel very welcome here when I come. The people are always friendly, so I really enjoy it.

“There’s a tradition and the history of it being one of the best indoor tournaments in the world. The draw is very tough here. There are many great players.”

The top seed opens his campaign against Slovenia’s Grega Zemlja.

Date: 11th February 2013, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment