Federer confirms he’s playing Swiss Indoors Basel


Roger Federer says he will play at the Swiss Indoors Basel in October, ending speculation he'd skip his hometown tournament because of a contractual dispute.

“I’ve played in Basel over the years, whenever I was not hurt. Everyone knows how much this tournament means to me, and that is still true. I’ve been a ball boy, played in the qualies and even as a junior I hit with Andre Agassi.” says Federer to Swiss daily Tages Anzeiger.

“I’ve experienced many memorable moments in this unique atmosphere with the great fans, and I am pleased extremely to be able to experience this year. I can play in Basel also no contracts or arrangements, if I feel like it, and I did.”

The five-time champion says he never said that he wouldn't play in Basel. He says he's trying ''to make this complicated issue simpler.''

Federer's contract with the event ended last year. Swiss media reported that Federer's management sought a seven-figure fee and couldn't reach an agreement with tournament organizers.

“To compete on home soil is very special for me because I’m on the road all year. I do not want to miss this chance.”

Date: 10th April 2013, Source: DPA and AP

0 comments:

Post a Comment