Federer hopes to be 'tough to beat'

World No. 2 Roger Federer hopes he will be a tough proposition for his rivals in the coming weeks as he prepares to return to action from an eight-week break at the Mutua Madrid Open.

“For me, it was important to take a bit of a rest - not too long - just enough so I'm really sort of tough to beat in the next few months,” said Federer.

“What we play for at the end of the day is playing in front of fans and being part of the show and achieving things in your career you always dreamed about. For that, I need to work hard as well. I need to get away from it all, so that when I do come back I'm excited and motivated. That's what I feel right now, and that can then carry you a long way.”

While Federer hasn’t played since reaching the quarter-finals of the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells, the defending Madrid champion believes his time away will only help him as he gets ready for one of the most important stretches of the season.

“I’ve just been home and practising hard as I was hoping to. I feel good now,” said Federer. “It took me a little time to get over my back issue from Indian Wells. But at the same time, that collided with my vacation anyway, which was okay, so I didn't lose much time there.

“Now I feel good. I’m obviously extremely excited being back on Tour. I’m sort of entering all the tournaments from here through to the US Open really, so it's going to be a long stretch. You want to be ready for it. I'm very excited, which is a good thing.”

Federer will open his title defence against the winner of a first-round match between Bernard Tomic and Radek Stepanek.

Date: 5th May 2013, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment