Federer demolishes Zverev to reach Halle semifinal

Roger Federer needed a mere 39 minutes to demolish hapless wild-card entrant Mischa Zverev of Germany 6-0, 6-0 and book his spot in the Gerry Weber Open semi-finals on Friday.

The Swiss was in spectacular form on Halle's grass court, gifting the world number 156 not a single break ball throughout the match which was his second double-bagel win in his career.

Federer, 31, has played 1,107 tour-level matches (902-205) since turning professional in 1998. He also beat Gaudio Gaudio 6-0, 6-0 at the 2005 Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai (now known as the ATP World Tour Finals).

Federer, preparing to defend his Wimbledon crown later this month, told reporters: "I feel sorry for Mischa."

''It's not something which is easy to do. You never go into a match aiming for that score,'' Federer said. ''I was very surprised that it happened today, especially on grass."

''I think it is disappointing for a serve and volley player to go down like this. It shows also how easy it is to hit passing shots or returns today in this day and age. But I really expected him to cause me more trouble with his serve. First of all, he is a lefty. And then it is a grass court, he is a serve-and-volley player, so you always think he’ll find a way to make me feel uncomfortable somewhat with my backhand."

"I just had a pretty easy time picking up his serve, and made a ton of returns, and always made him hit first volleys under the net. And then eventually maybe he forced a bit too much, or didn’t believe as much anymore in his own serve, and that gave me a lot of opportunities."

"This is not really how I want to win my games; it is a bit uncomfortable. Now I need to switch from today's match to tomorrow's difficult encounter." added the five-times Halle champion and last year's runner-up.

He will now play German veteran Tommy Haas in a repeat of last year's final.

Date: 14th June 2013, Source: Reuters

0 comments:

Post a Comment