Federer looks for confidence boost in Hamburg

Roger Federer admitted that he is pleased to be competing again at the German Tennis Championships, where he is a four-time former titlist.

Federer, who lost to Sergiy Stakhovsky in the second round at The Championships, admitted, “I think this decision was made very quickly the day after Wimbledon.

“I thought, what are my options now? Do I need more practice? Do I need more matches? What does my heart say? I really wanted to play some more matches.”

Federer decided to compete in Hamburg for the first time since 2008.

“I first entered into the Top 10 rankings at Hamburg in 2002,” recalled Federer. “That is something that can never be taken away from Hamburg or me. It was one of my dreams. I have always enjoyed coming back here, winning here. I have had milestone victories here and also times when I have learnt a lot.

“Right now I just want to win a lot of matches, hopefully win a couple of tournaments and then sort of build confidence and go from there into the hard courts.”

This week in Hamburg, Federer opens his campaign against Daniel Brands on Wednesday. He has a 29-4 tournament record.

Date: 15th July 2013, Source: ATP

1 comments:

  1. Roger is not a god, he is a man, that has ups and downs, brilliance and disappointments. I believe totally in his abilities and his experience to get the job done when he needs to. Just a little slump. After all, players just get better and better, and when you're at the top, everyone comes gunning after you, because after all, what do competitors gain by beating those that they can easily beat. They want Roger and for years they couldn't have him. He will go forward to spite what we think and whatever the outcome, he will always be "The Great Maestro"

    ReplyDelete