Roger Federer eases to victory at US Open

Five-time US Open Champion Roger Federer breezed into the US Open third round on Thursday at Flushing Meadows.

Swiss 17-time Grand Slam champion Federer, who swept the New York hardcourt crowns from 2004-2008, dispatched Argentina's 48th-ranked Carlos Berlocq 6-3, 6-2, 6-1 in 95 minutes, firing six aces, 37 winners and converted seven of his 13 break points opportunitie.

"I feel at home here, after everything that has happened," said Federer, in an on-court interview. "I am happy with my performance today. I am results-orientated now. I don’t mind how I play, as long as I win."

"It's one of those matches I expect myself to win if possible in straight sets, and gain confidence in the process," said Federer. "All those things happened, so I'm pleased about it."

Federer is in the same quarter as Rafael Nadal, and was asked about a potential match-up against the in-form Spaniard.

"I am well aware of the draw. But, at the moment, I am clearly focusing on round by round and it would be a big mistake if I was thinking too much about Rafa," Federer said.

"I would love a match with Rafa but, for that to happen, I have to keep playing well and keep winning."

Federer will next play either 26th-seeded American Sam Querrey or Adrian Mannarino of France.

Date: 29th August 2013, Source: ESPN

0 comments:

Post a Comment