Roger Federer eases into French Open second round

Roger Federer eased into the second round of the French Open with a 6-2 6-4 6-2 win over Lukas Lacko in Paris.

With his twin daughters watching from the stands, Federer took just 84 minutes to dismantle Lacko and equal Rafael Nadal's record of winning 59 matches at Roland Garros.

Federer has played in only two clay-court tournaments this season. He reached the final in Monte Carlo but missed the Madrid tournament when his second set of twins, boys Leo and Lenny, was born.

His first match after their birth was a loss in Rome. On Sunday, with the clay court hard and damp due to days of rain and overcast skies, fourth seed Federer was back to himself, winning five of his 11 break points.

"I was happy seeing, getting early signs out of the match that I was actually playing well and I was going to get my chances I was looking for," Federer said. "I’m very pleased, very satisfied. I had everything under control from A to Z. The match was rather easy for me. My personal life, as we know, it's all great, so I'm happy the family is here."

Federer's twin girls, Myla Rose and Charlene Riva, will turn 5 in July. They were sitting in Federer's box along with his wife Mirka at the start.

The French Open is the only Grand Slam tournament to start on Sunday, and Federer played the second match on Court Philippe Chatrier, the main stadium at Roland Garros.

"I wasn't nervous actually going into the match. It's more just like those hints of fear, maybe yesterday, maybe this morning at one point, just for like five seconds, `Oh, I really hope I don't have to pack my bags today,' that kind of feeling," Federer said.

Match statistics:


Federer will meet a qualifyer in the next round, either Gastao Elias (ATP 178) or Diego Sebastian Schwartzman (ATP 109).

Date: 25th May 2014, Source: ESPN

0 comments:

Post a Comment