Federer cruises into Wimbledon second round

Seven-time former champion Roger Federer produced a devastating display of power tennis on Tuesday, when he opened his campaign at The Championships by beating fellow 32-year-old Paolo Lorenzi 6-1, 6-1, 6-3 in one hour and 33 minutes.

Federer won 30 of his 42 approaches to the net. He lost 10 of his first service points, hit 40 winners and committed 20 unforced errors. Lorenzi saved five match points at 2-5 in the third set. before Federer recorded his 68th match win at Wimbledon with a hold to 30.

"Getting the first one out of the way is always a good feeling," said Federer. "I thought I played well, got a lot of breaks and served well.

"Walking down the tunnel I felt relaxed and happy to go on court but once you step out there you are ready and you do feel some pressure.

"I didn't know about Lorenzi's record beforehand. I thought he did a good job by trying to serve and volley and make the plays but he maybe doesn't have a strong enough serve to do that."

The Swiss will now play Julien Benneteau or qualifier Gilles Muller.

Federer was cautious about whether Edberg’s arrival has increased his appetite for the serve and volley game on grass.

"It's clearly a pleasure having him on my side, getting advice and support - it's very inspiring and motivating," the Swiss said.

"Maybe it just reinforces the concept that it is possible, that I can actually do it. In 2001 when I made it to the quarters here I served and volleyed 80 percent on the first serve, 30 to 50 percent on the second serve. It was normal. I even did some in 2003 when I first won here. Then every year I started doing less because the game started changing.

"Now it could be that little extra piece to the puzzle that could bring me through, to have that extra option. I think it is helpful."

Date: 24th June 2014, Source: ATP and Wimbledon

0 comments:

Post a Comment