Roger Federer wins 7th Halle crown

Roger Federer captured his seventh Gerry Weber Open title on Sunday.

The second seed picked up his 14th grass-court crown with a 7-6(2), 7-6(3) victory over Alejandro Falla, who had been attempting to capture his first ATP World Tour trophy. The match lasted 89 minutes.

“It is great to have won seven times here,” said Federer . “It is very special and I hope to come back here next year, where it is a 500-series event.”

“I really enjoy winning titles. It is what I play for, to play and receive a standing ovation at the end. I am very pleased with my performance. I work hard and travel the tour to win these titles and not lose in the quarters or semi-finals. With all the success I have had in the past, I need to aim for titles. I think I deserved the title this week.”

Federer, who improved to a 46-5 record in Halle, received $128,860 in prize money and earned 250 ATP Rankings points.

The 32-year-old Federer has now won 79 tour-level titles. He has also lifted the Wimbledon crown seven times.

“In the past, when I have played well at Halle I have usually played well at Wimbledon," said Federer. "They have been two of my most successful tournaments, so I hope that this title will bring me luck again. Last year it didn’t work out, but it did many times before. So I hope it will be back to the good old days.”

Federer had an opportunity to serve for the set at 5-3, having converted his second break point opportunity on Falla’s serve at 30/40, 3-4. But Falla responded with his own break, to 15, en route to a first-set tie-break.

Federer broke clear at 2-2 in the tie-break, winning five straight points to wrap up the 42-minute opener. He had lost two of his first service points in the opener.

Federer broke Falla to 30 in the first game of the second set, but once again Falla responded by clinching his third of three break point chances for 1-1.

Without any further chances to break, Federer took a 3-0 lead in the tie-break and went on to maintain his perfect 7-0 ATP Head to Head record against Falla.

“He fought back when I served for the first set and he also fought back when I had won the first game of the second set. Things could have been trickier and tougher, but overall it was a close match in quick conditions. I was able to serve and volley a little bit and I served extremely well in the tie-breakers, which was the difference at the end.”

Falla had been bidding to become the first Colombian to win an ATP World Tour title since Mauricio Hadad at 1995 Bermuda. Falla also finished runner-up to Ivo Karlovic in last year’s Bogota final.



“It’s always tough losing a match, especially a final,” said Falla. “I wanted to win the title so badly. But when you play Roger in a final, it is always tough. He is the king of all kings in tennis. It was a close match. I tried my best and fought for every point. I am happy with the way I played today and the tournament overall. I enjoy playing on the grass. This tournament gave me a lot of confidence, having won some tough matches.”

World No. 69 Falla picked up $67,865 and 150 ATP Rankings points.

Date: 15th June 2014, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment