Roger Federer: "There was a lot on the line"

A year after an early exit to Sergiy Stakhovsky in the second round, seven-time Wimbledon champion Roger Federer has found himself in the second week at the grass-court major. The 32 year old passed a stiff test on Wednesday as he overcame fellow Swiss Stan Wawrinka 3-6, 7-6(5), 6-4, 6-4 in the quarter-finals.

“There was a lot on the line today playing against Stan,” said Federer. “The quarter-finals show the direction of how you're playing.

“I’m really pleased to have come through. Last year was a major disappointment for me because I always see Wimbledon as one of my main goals of the season,” Federer added.

“I’m happy that one year later I'm back in the semi-finals and with a chance to go further."

During the two-hour, 33 minute contest, the fourth seed remained focused even as it hit him that his opponent was a long-time friend.

“I was thinking about it midway through the match, actually,” shared Federer. “I was like, Oh, I'm playing Stan… It hit me midway through the second set.

“You need some energy to push yourself. You want to win the match. You don't necessarily want to beat him, but you want to win the match. So that's the odd part. It plays its role during the match,” expressed Federer. “It is unusual playing a friend and especially a compatriot.”

After weathering a modified playing schedule to accommodate the wet weather at SW19, Federer is looking forward to a day break before facing Milos Raonic in the semi-finals.

“I played back-to-back days. I'm really looking forward to a day off tomorrow,” shared Federer. “Tomorrow's a big day for me where I can let it all sink in a bit, like what's been going well for the last nine days and what do I need to do to get to the final.

“It's a comfortable place to be. I know there's pressure, but the confidence is there. You know there is a chance now to go a step further because you trust your game. That's where I am right now. I'm really excited about the next couple days.”

Date: 3rd July 2014, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment