Monfils: Federer adjusted his game for quarterfinal victory


Roger Federer had too many answers, Gael Monfils reflected following his five-set defeat from two sets up at the U.S. Open. Monfils also had two match points in the fourth set, but Federer bounced back to take the entertaining encounter, 4-6, 3-6, 6-4, 7-5, 6-2.

The Frenchman told the press that he had begun the match with a specific tactic, but that Federer adjusted his game several times.

"The beginning I feel good, because when you have a tactic or plan, a game plan, stick with," said Monfils. "That's why he's Roger Federer, because he change so many times. He start with chipping very low. I think I handled it good.

"So then he stick with longer points. It was 50-50, and then he try to come to the net like very often. It was a bit better for him. Then suddenly he start to mix everything. You know, that's why he's the greatest player, because he can do everything. You know, he just feel good.''

Monfils also pointed to Federer's aggressive play on the match points, saying his legendary opponent found a way to win.

"I think he took the opportunity," he said. "I think that's a good example, you know, because he had match point, he come forward, you know, he never is tired. I think I, yeah, he took it."

Date: 6th September 2014, Source: Tennis.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment