Federer gearing up for big finish

With just four weeks of the regular season to go, all eyes are on who is going to clinch the remaining five spots at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals, and Roger Federer is looking forward to his front row seat as the ATP Race To London unfolds.

After a three-week break, including a family holiday with his wife and two sets of twins, the 33-year-old Swiss is back in action at the Shanghai Rolex Masters and is eager to ignite a big finish to the season. Indeed Federer’s focus is already beginning to shift to the season finale in London and who will be joining him there. Shanghai is set to play a key role in determining final Final Showdown line-up.

“The World Tour Finals is huge for me, a big goal,” said the Basel native on Sunday in Shanghai. “It's what I wanted to qualify for. It's where I've played so well in previous years. It’s always been a very special event for me throughout my career, ever since I qualified here [in Shanghai] in 2002 for the first time, I guess.

“Now you have the younger guys coming through, making a name for themselves. I always knew it was going to be a big year for some of the players, like Raonic and Nishikori and Dimitrov. I think it's going to be interesting to see who is going to qualify now, and also next year, if they can take the next step and get into the top five, top two maybe at one point, because that's clearly a different animal than just getting into the Top 10."

Federer was victorious in Shanghai when it hosted the Tennis Masters Cup in 2006 and 2007. Since it became an ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament in 2009, Federer’s best showing has been a runner-up finish in 2010 (l. to Murray). It’s a trophy that Federer is keen to add to his collection of 22 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 crowns.

“Of course, the wish is to win the tournament here,” said Federer. “I've never been able to win it other than the Masters Cup here, but never when it was a Masters 1000. That is the goal, no doubt about it. I feel my game is good enough now, but the field is very strong. Tough draws for all the top guys. A lot of guys are fighting to get into the race for the World Tour Finals in London, so there's a lot of pressure on many of the guys.

“I think confidence is a big thing in tennis, and I have it now,” added Federer, who leads the ATP World Tour with 56 match wins this season. “Clearly there's a bit of a reset now, because after Davis Cup I needed a rest. I took a vacation. I practised hard to get back in shape. I have a good chance to do well here in Shanghai now because it's a one off event.”

Seeded third, Federer is due to open his campaign against Leonardo Mayer or Di Wu. He could face London contenders Kei Nishikori or Grigor Dimitrov in the quarter-finals.

Date: 6th October 2014, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment