Federer honoured by Edberg in ATP Awards ceremony

Roger Federer was honoured in a special ceremony on opening night at the ATP World Tour Finals, receiving his two trophies in the 2014 ATP World Tour Awards Presented By Moët and Chandon.

Following his straight-set win over Canada’s Milos Raonic, Federer’s coach and childhood idol Stefan Edberg stepped onto the court at The O2 to present the Swiss with the trophy named in his honour, the Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award. Federer had been voted by fellow players as the winner for a 10th year, but received the trophy from Edberg himself for the first time.

“This award means a lot to me. I try to play as fairly as I can. This is a classy sport and I try to represent it as well as I can,” said Federer. "Stefan has paved the way for me. He's been my hero. It was a big surprise that he actually decided to come work with me and travel the world. He's been a great inspiration both on and off the court."

Meanwhile, Edberg disclosed what sportsmanship meant to him: “It’s about being honest and respecting everyone around you, such as the ball kids and the umpire.”

ATP Executive Chairman & CEO Chris Kermode then presented Federer with his trophy as ATPWorldTour.com Fans’ Favourite Presented By Moët and Chandon. He received 65 per cent of all votes cast online by fans,  extending his record winning streak to a 12th straight year.

"I feel very honoured to receive this award," said Federer. "Thanks for always supporting me wherever I go. Tonight, when I entered the building, it was one of the greatest ovations I've received in my career."

Since 2003, Federer has won a record total of 29 ATP World Tour Awards.

Date: 9th November 2014, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment