Federer pulls out of ATP Finals with back injury

In a potential blow to Switzerland's Davis Cup ambitions, Roger Federer pulled out of the ATP World Your Finals less than one hour before his title match against Novak Djokovic on Sunday, handing a third straight title at the year-end event to the top-ranked Serb.

The 17-time Grand Slam champion said he hurt his back in the nearly three-hour semifinal win over Davis Cup teammate Stan Wawrinka on Saturday night in which Federer saved four match points.

"Unfortunately, I'm not match fit to play the match tonight," said Federer on court. "Clearly I wish it wasn't so. I tried all year to be ready for the ATP World Tour Finals, and I didn't want it to end this way. I tried everything I could last night, also today - painkillers, treatment, rest, so forth, warm-up, until the very end - but I just can't compete at this level with Novak. It would be too risky at my age to do this right now and I hope you understand.

"I wanted to come out personally and excuse myself. It's been a great week for me. I played some great tennis and I love coming to The O2 and to London, and there's been so many great memories for me here. Congrats of course to Novak, who’s played an amazing season, and an amazing tournament here as well. I hope we can play some more great matches, hopefully next year.

"Thanks to all you guys for making it special to come out and play tennis all around the world. I know you guys travel, as well, and spend a lot of money on tickets and so forth. We really, really appreciate it - me in particular. It keeps me going, it makes me tick, especially at this age. Hopefully, I can come back next year and get another chance to compete for the title here. So thank you very much and I'll see you soon. I appreciate it."

It is only the third time in Federer’s career that he has been forced to withdraw, each time due to a back injury - also walkovers at 2008-Paris QFs vs. Blake and 2012 Doha SFs vs. Tsonga.

Fans appeared to be supportive with applause for Federer when he spoke.

The Swiss is set to play for Switzerland in the Davis Cup final against France, starting Friday. If he recovers in time, Federer will be chasing the only major trophy still eluding him. France hosts the match in the northern city of Lille and has opted for clay, a slow surface that could further thwart Federer's chances to perform well.

''I don't think he was calculating and trying to save his body for Davis Cup final,'' said Djokovic. ''This is probably the biggest match of the season next to the final of a Grand Slam. I spoke to him, it's a question mark for the Davis Cup final as well.

''You never like to win, especially these big matches against big rivals, with the retirement,'' said Djokovic.

"I feel sorry for Roger. I've been in tennis 10 years and I know Roger and Rafa have been the biggest competitors and always give their 100 percent. If Roger could have come out and played he would have played," said Djokovic when he was presented with the trophy.

"I wish him all the best for his recovery, he has an important week ahead of him with the Davis Cup final."

Following back problems that ruined his 2013 season, Federer enjoyed a superb resurgence this season, losing to Djokovic in an epic Wimbledon final and adding five new titles to his collection.

Federer, the most successful player at the ATP Finals with six wins, also made it to the semifinals at the Australian Open and the U.S. Open and won his 23rd Masters title in Shanghai last month. He remained on course for the year-end No. 1 spot until this week and had dropped just one set on the way to the final.

''I think you have some recurrent things coming back from time to time,'' the second-ranked Federer said. ''It's not that much of a surprise. I must say I've been feeling really good for over a year now, which has been not a surprise, but it's been very nice. So this back spasm, whatever it might be, it's just not a fun thing to have during the day. It's just uncomfortable. But I'm positive and I'm hopeful that it's going to go away very soon.''

To appease disappointed fans, home favorite Andy Murray, thrashed by Federer in the week, agreed to play Djokovic in a one-set exhibition match, before partnering John McEnroe in a doubles game against Tim Henman and Pat Cash.

Federer now faces a battle to be fit for the Davis Cup final against France which starts in Lille on Friday.

Along with the Olympic singles title, the Davis Cup is the major honor which still eludes the 17-times grand slam champion, with Switzerland's hopes resting on the shoulders of him and Wawrinka.

"The way I feel right now there's no way I can compete at any level really," Federer said. "Probably in a few days it's going to be better."

Date: 16th November 2014, Source: AP and Reuters

0 comments:

Post a Comment