Federer feels “funny emotions” after 1000th match win

Roger Federer has never been one to dwell on the past, briefly enjoying wins and lamenting losses before moving on to the next challenge. But with his win over Milos Raonic in the Brisbane International final marking his 1,000th ATP World Tour victory, the Swiss is taking time to savour his accomplishment.

“It feels very different to any other match I've ever won because I never thought about reaching 500 or 800,” Federer said of the 6-4, 6-7(2), 6-4 battle. “All those numbers didn't mean anything to me, but for some reason 1,000 means a lot because it's such a huge number. It's funny emotions right now, but clearly very proud and happy.”

Though the current World No. 2 entered the Brisbane final with a comfortable 7-1 record over Raonic, the score remained tight until the very end of the two hour and 13 minute match. It turns out the extra effort only sweetened the result.

“It means so much more than just running away with it and maybe winning 6-4, 6-4,” he said. “I guess I was much more happy having to go three sets in the end rather than winning in straight.”

Taking the confidence gleaned from his 83rd tour-level title, Federer is setting his sights on the Australian Open, where the four-time champion fell in the semi-finals to Rafael Nadal in 2014. When asked if he has another Grand Slam in his tank, the 33 year old did not mince words.

“I do believe that,” Federer said. “Then again, it's just talk. In the end, I've got to do the running. I've got to do the clutch play when it matters the most, like tonight… Clearly I do believe I have a shot in Melbourne, otherwise I would go home on Tuesday.”

While adding more Grand Slam hardware to his collection is a top priority, chasing Jimmy Connors’ career wins record of 1,215 is not.

“The goal is to remain in the game as long as possible. For that I need to stay injury free. I need to be hungry and motivated. For the moment I am, so that's more of a concern than reaching that number.”

With congratulations from around the world flooding in on social media following the Brisbane final, Federer has plenty of time to reflect on his 1,000 wins before it’s back to work. Just don’t ask him to remember them all.

“I probably remember 800 of them, at least. I hope I do,” he told the Brisbane media with a laugh. “Don't start testing me.”

Date: 12th January 2015, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment