Is it a bee? Is it a blister? Federer doesn't know

The mystery affliction that affected a finger, or fingers, on Roger Federer's right hand had still not been solved more than an hour after he saw off a spirited performance from Italian journeyman Simone Bolelli at the Australian Open on Wednesday.

The 33-year-old Swiss sought treatment on his hand after the first set.

Federer said it did not look like a blister and he had thought he may have been stung by a bee, but was still examining his hand after the 3-6, 6-3, 6-2, 6-2 victory.

"I don't know what that thing is," the 17-time grand slam winner told reporters in a media conference while staring intently at the tips of his fingers. "It's the weirdest thing.

"I feel it on the tip of my finger. Just felt really odd starting after the break, and for three, four games, it was the funniest feeling I have.

"I feel like it's numb and swollen. I never had this pain before - it was disturbing me.

"Actually it went away, but now I feel it again. I don't know what the feeling is."

Federer declined to have the finger taped by medical staff because it would have just looked "bigger and weird".

"You can't see anything," he said laughing while staring intently at his hand.

"But it is definitely swollen and it's funny. I don't know what it is. As long as it's not getting bad, it's okay."

Date: 21st January 2015, Source: Reuters

0 comments:

Post a Comment