Roger Federer: I want to play as long as possible

Roger Federer in his latest interview with German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung talked about his family, Martina Hingis proposal for the Rio Olympics in 2016 to his relationship with his coach Stefan Edberg.

84 singles titles to his name, but Roger Federer is far from satisfied and done, and seeks to continue expanding its records in tennis. The Swiss is admired all over the world, and had the greatest fan base.

He started the interview telling about his role as a dad, and the big responsibility that comes with being one.

What is the most surprising for Federer, is having one big family and still been eager to travel and play across the world?

“Yes, it’s weird for me to think that I have a family so big and still continuing to play. In the past I thought only of myself as a tennis player, often traveling alone, sometimes with the coach, my parents or my wife. A family is, however, a different matter. What I’m living in the last six years is something totally different. Mirka and I are privileged to be parents. With the experience of many years of traveling behind I can teach my children how to behave around the world, let them know different places and cultures. It will be an incredible life lesson.”

Then continued with his schedule this season and what are his expectations.

“The Australia Open for me was a total disappointment, because I played really bad against Seppi. Regarding the clay season, after Monte Carlo I hope to do well in Istanbul, Madrid and Paris, reaching at least the semifinals of Roland Garros. It is clear that for me the goal will be the grass season, with Halle and Wimbledon. I will give the highest priority to the extra week between Paris and Halle in order to better prepare the grass season.”

He explained that is difficult for him to play in three discipline at the Olympics even though that automatic means more chanced for medals.

“Martina Hingis in Dubai asked me if I wanted to play with her. I’ve always admired but for me it is now difficult to say whether playing alone or all three disciplines (singles, doubles and mixed doubles). With Stan Wawrinka I will play the doubles. Of course, the more disciplines I play, I’ll get more chances for a medal but I don’t know if my body can handle that.”

In very relaxed manner he continued talking about the rankings and points needed.

“Points of the ranking are important because they make you stand up and have a better placement in Grand Slam draws, but if I am number six or 10 that doesn’t change much. So that’s why I am on the hunt for points to be able to return to number one or to be in a good position to be able to win more Grand Slams.”

The Swiss talked about Stefan Edberg:

“For me it is motivating to work with him, it’s like a dream to spend time together, even just for a coffee. He reminds me of things I actually already know, but sometimes that should be highlighted again. He is a man of few words.”

What about the angry moments and racquets breaking?

“I also get angry sometimes, especially while I train, many times more than when I play. Once in Monte Carlo, training with Kohlschreiber, I was upset for failing a ball that I was on the net and threw my racket to the ground and I wanted to kick as if it was a football ball but missed it and get even more angrier.”

Is there any possibility to see Federer as a future coach?

I would not be able to be free seven days a week, I do not think it is realistic also thinking of the needs of my family. My children? The other day one of my daughters told me: ‘Dad you are wrong, you’re hitting the ball badly.’ For me it is essential that they love the sport, they learn coordination and athleticism, who understand and accept victory and defeat. I will support them, but I do not think that I will train them.”

Date: 24th April 2015, Source: Tennis Flash

0 comments:

Post a Comment