Federer: Draw analyst, Pizza chef


Most players will tell you that they never peek at the draw, that they take it one point at a time, one match at a time. But not Roger Federer. In fact, so studious is the Swiss that the moment a draw is released he studies like a college hoops fanatic gearing up for March Madness.

Not that the World No. 2 claims to be an expert prognosticator.

“I love looking at the draw, trying to understand who is going to come through,” said Federer, prepping for his title defense at the Shanghai Rolex Masters. “I’m horrible at it usually, but I like looking at them. There’s no avoiding where you are in the draw, so I’m aware of who is around me. What I can’t stand is going to the draws when they pull the names out of the hat. If you’re sitting there I feel like any draw is a bad one because you see it coming. But I like looking at the draw just like a fan.”

In addition to his foray into draw analysis, Federer will take on a new role in Shanghai: pizza maker. As the Master 1000 event’s defending champion, he was asked to create an original pizza to be served in the players’ restaurant throughout the tournament.

“That’s exciting,” said Federer. “Because a lot of pizzas were taken, the classic ones, I came up with one that I like - figs, arugula salad, prosciutto, and creme fraiche, and extra mozzarella, if you like.”

What does the father of four call his signature creation?

“It’s the ‘Figalicious,” he said. “I don’t know if you know, but the name is really important.”

Federer is making his fifth appearance at the Shanghai Rolex Masters. Prior to last year, he reached the Shanghai final in 2010, the semi-finals in 2012 (l. to Andy Murray both times) and the third round in 2013 (l. to Gael Monfils). The 34-year-old comes in with a 53-8 record on the year (29-3 on hard courts).

Date: 12th October 2015, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment