Federer to face Tsitsipas in Australian Open 4th round

Roger Federer celebrated his 100th match at the Australian Open on Friday by giving young American Taylor Fritz a centre court schooling to reach the last 16 and set up a mouthwatering clash with 'Next Gen' champion Stefanos Tsitsipas.

Chasing a record seventh Melbourne title and his third in succession, the 37-year-old Swiss has been in ominous form at the year's first Grand Slam and his 6-2, 7-5, 6-2 masterclass at Rod Laver Arena was another warning to the Tour's upstarts.

Fritz, 21, was meant to offer Federer a meaningful test with his prodigious serve and powerful ground-strokes but was instead sent packing after less than 90 minutes.

“I think I wanted to get out of the blocks quickly because I knew of the threat of Taylor, his possibilities of the serve,” Federer said. “I think I had a really good feeling out here today against someone who can definitely be very dangerous in the future, and I wish him all the best in the future.”

Federer dropped only three first-serve points (93%, 40/43), won more than half of his break points (5/9) and never let Fritz into the match. He finished with 34 winners, including 10 aces, to only 14 unforced errors. The American saw zero break points.

The next wave of talent, however, will have another crack at the six-time Australian Open champion in the fourth round. Federer will face Greece's Tsitsipas for a spot in the quarter-finals. It will be their first meeting.

The 20-year-old Athens native matched his best Grand Slam showing with a 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (7), 6-4 win against Georgian Nikoloz Basilashvili, a two-time ATP Tour titlist.

“I'm happy for him,” Federer said. “He's playing so well, and I'm looking forward to the matchup with him. I think it's going to be a good one. I like how he mixes up his game and also comes to the net. So will I. I think we will see some athletic attacking tennis being played.”

Date: 18 January 2019, Source: Reuters and ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment