Soderling beats Federer at lucky 13th attempt

Soderling celebrated the New Year by claiming his first victory over Roger Federer at the 13th attempt, finally seeing off the world number one 6-7 7-6 6-2 at an exhibition tournament in Abu Dhabi on Friday.The Swede had lost all 12 of his previous meetings with the current world number one, including a straight-sets defeat at last year’s French Open final.

His luck changed with the coming of the new decade, however, as he fought back from a set and a break down to book a place in the final of the six-man event against Rafael Nadal.

“I always said the more times I play him, the closer I’ll get, and here I am today,” Soderling, the world number eight, said on court.

“It’s going to be a long season for sure. Hopefully I’ll get to play against Roger a few more times.”

Nadal reached the final by winning an all-Spanish semi-final against David Ferrer 7-6 6-3.

Date: 01.01.2010

Source: Reuters

0 comments:

Post a Comment