Roger battles into semis

Roger recovered from a rough start today to beat Swiss compatriot Stanislas Wawrinka 2-6, 6-3, 6-2 at the Stockholm Open. His 50th victory this year also means he will now play his tenth semi-final of the season.

Wawrinka had a terrific start as Roger had to face breaks in the first and fifth games making some uncharacteristic errors. Trailing 0-2 in the second set, Roger came back in terrific fashion with some great winners to break Wawrinka twice and take the match into the third set. Our champ then raised the level of play even further to bring the match to a clear end after 107 minutes.

“He was playing great,” Federer said. “I was struggling a little bit with my rhythm, it made it hard for me to find any way back into the match, so I had to rely a little bit on mistakes from him and some better play from my side.

“Thank God I just turned a corner at the right time because the deeper it goes in the second set the more likely the score would have been brutal.”

Next up is Croatia's Ivan Ljubicic (ATP 17) on Saturday. Federer has beaten Ljubicic in 12 of 15 matches so far, including their last encounter at Indian Wells in 2008.

“He’s one of my closest friends on tour,” Federer said. “He’s a got a real dangerous game, especially indoors.”

Date: 23.10.2010, Source: RF Official and AP

0 comments:

Post a Comment