Federer optimistic about the future

Defending champion Roger Federer insisted he remains optimistic about the future despite losing to 2008 titlist Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open semi-finals on Thursday.

"I feel very good and I'm very optimistic about the next 15 tournaments," said Federer. "I've barely lost matches lately really, so I'm happy with where my game is at, with where my condition is at. I'm really excited for what's to come.

"This is obviously a bit of a blow. At the same time, I played a good tournament. I had some really good moments here these last couple of weeks.  I have no regrets. I left everything out there. We'll see what comes next.

"I hope I'll stay healthy this time around in February, which is going to help me through Dubai, Indian Wells and Miami, and then going into the clay-court season."

The former World No. 1 has compiled a 45-5 match record, including five titles, since a quarter-final exit to Tomas Berdych at Wimbledon in July last year.

"I wish I had a chance on Sunday, but, look, Novak was the better player tonight," the 29-year-old Swiss admitted. "I'm feeling really good considering how intense it was. It was a three hour match over three sets. It was intense.

"I think we always try to play very aggressive against each other. Usually that's what players do against me; the more aggressive you play, the more aggressive they will almost have to play. Novak has great assets in his game and can go up the line on both sides, forehand, backhand, moves extremely well.

"He's a tough player to play against. Tonight he was better and won the big points. There's many good players out there. Not just two of us. I wish I could have won here again for the fifth time."
Federer has won 67 career titles, including 16 Grand Slam championships. His last major title came at the Australian Open last year, when he beat Andy Murray in the final.

Date: 27.01.2011, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment