Roger returns home to regroup

Roger Federer, who made a surprise quarter-final exit to Jurgen Melzer at the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters on Friday, will now return to Switzerland for a couple of weeks to get physically and mentally fit for the tough stretch ahead.

"I'll be back in Switzerland training on clay. Hopefully the weather is going to be okay so I get some chances to hit outdoors. I'm looking forward to going back home."

World No. 3 Federer dropped to a 24-5 match record on the season, highlighted by one ATP World Tour title at the Qatar ExxonMobil Open in Doha (d. Davydenko).

"It's always disappointing regardless against who you lose," said Federer, a three-time former runner-up to Rafael Nadal at the Monte-Carlo Country Club.

"I wish I could have gone further in the tournament. I got three matches. I'm pretty happy.

"I don't think I played terrible. Obviously, it was still the first week of clay, so I don't expect myself to play my very best. I think it's been a solid tournament.

"I think I should have definitely gotten one of the sets. Every time I had this slight opening, things didn't go my way. I thought he did well. He played aggressive, played the right way he was supposed to."

When asked whether Federer is losing his aura of invincibility, Melzer said: "I think you always have to respect Roger. This would be lack of respect from the players if you don't respect Roger. He's a great tennis player, what he has achieved in the past.

"He has played tennis on such a high level that for him being three in the world is a downgrade, which if you think about it, it's kind of stupid. For me, he's the greatest player that has ever played that game. For him to lose matches, it's every time a tragic. There is a lot of players out there that would love to be in his shirt going out of that locker room and being on the court."

Federer, a winner of 17 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 titles, is No. 7 on the Open Era match wins list (767) in tour-level play. He is next scheduled to play at the Mutua Madrid Open, an ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament, from 2 May.

Date: 15.04.2011, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment