Federer clinches first Paris title

Roger Federer will take a 12-match winning streak into the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals, where is the defending champion, after claiming his first BNP Paribas Masters title with a 6-1, 7-6(3) victory over sixth-seeded Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga on Sunday in Paris.

"I'm just really ecstatic to have played so well this week from start to finish," said Federer. "Basically from first ball struck against Adrian Mannarino all the way until the very end here. I couldn't be more happy. I have had many attempts trying to win Paris Bercy, and for some reason, I wasn't able to win it earlier. But this one obviously feels great and it's a special victory."

Federer, the first player to contest the final of all nine Masters 1000 tournaments, has now won 18 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 crowns (18-12 in finals), second on the list of title leaders behind Rafael Nadal with 19. With his victory, it marks the first time in Masters 1000 history that all nine champions during the season were ranked in the Top 4.

Federer came under pressure early in his first BNP Paribas Masters final, but fought off two break points on serve in the opening game and proceeded to break Tsonga in the next. "These two games maybe decided the outcome of the match," the Swiss admitted. "It gave me great confidence and a great direction for the match."

The No. 3 seed raced through the first set in 30 minutes, building a 5-0 lead before Tsonga managed to get on the scoreboard. After saving two break points in the second set, Federer quickly gained control in the tie-break; he rolled out to a 6-1 lead and clinched the title on his third championship point.
"Jo was always with the back against the wall, so I was really able to put him under pressure and play aggressive with myself," said Federer. "Couple of hiccups maybe midway through the second. I didn't serve so well anymore, but I saved the best for last. I played a good tie-breaker and got the win here, which is very nice."

The 30-year-old Swiss is unbeaten since the US Open semi-finals (l. to Djokovic), and will enter the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals with a 59-12 season record (41-7 on hard). He made a strong start to his 2011 campaign, winning the Doha title in the opening week of the year, and snapped a 10-month title drought last week at his hometown tournament, the Swiss Indoors Basel.

"I have played well for a few months now," he said. "Maybe I didn't win the US Open, but we all know I was one point away from making the finals and then who knows? But Novak was able to come back in that great match against me at the Open. And before that I think I had some really good moments, where I actually did play very well, such as Wimbledon and the French Open where I think more was possible, too.

"I have had some really tough losses this year, but I kept believing that still the year wasn't over, I can still finish this year on a high, which that proves to be the case. Now I still have a massive highlight coming up in a week's time."

Federer, a winner of 69 tour-level titles, will look to reach his 100th tour-level final when he makes his 10th straight appearance at the circuit finale, to be held from 20-27 November at The O2 in London.

Date: 13.11.2011, Source: ATP

1 comments:

  1. beautiful blog dude, cheers Roger will rock rest of season n next season..

    ReplyDelete