Federer most influential person in tennis

Roger Federer has been named as the most influential person in tennis, as number one on The Tennis Space’s People of Influence, and told The Tennis Space he is "flattered".

"I’m first, and Mirka’s 20. That’s not bad," said the Swiss, who married his wife, Mirka Vavrinec in April 2009. "I’ve been around for a long time, been number one for a long time, so I guess it’s obvious I am in the upper level, I would think. And because I do so much press I have the power of the microphone very often and because I think I am very sort of trustworthy, it comes as no surprise to be high up there in some ways, I guess."

"It’s nice to be respected, let’s say. It’s flattering, absolutely, because I try to be a role model and I want to create good stories for the fans and be honest and open as much as I can be."

"It’s fun for everyone and myself and it seems it goes down well with the people because I have invested a lot of time in this whole media frenzy that we have around every tournament. And I never get frustrated about it and I think that has served me well now, I think, whereas at the beginning maybe you don’t get credit. I think down the stretch now it has, and that’s nice, because of all the languages."

The list in full:
The Tennis Space: People of Influence:

No 1 – Roger Federer
No 2 – John Skipper (ESPN President)
No 3 – John McEnroe
No 4 – Max Eisenbud (Player Agent)
No 5 – Ion Tiriac
No 6 – Venus and Serena Williams
No 7 – Rafael Nadal
No 8 – Philip Brook (Wimbledon Chairman)
No 9 – Maria Sharapova
No 10 – Li Na
No 11 – Brad Drewett
No 12 – Larry Ellison (Oracle CEO & BNP Paribas Open Owner)
No 13 – Stacey Allaster
No 14 – Novak Djokovic
No 15 – Andy Roddick
No 16 – Martina Navratilova
No 17 – Eric Babolat (Head of Babolat)
No 18 – Ivan Lendl
No 19 – Gilbert Ysern (Managing Director FFT)
No 20 – Mirka Federer

Date: 10.03.2012, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment