Federer through to 2nd round in three sets

Top-seeded Swiss Roger Federer opened his London Olympics campaign with a 6-3, 5-7, 6-3 victory over Alejandro Falla of Colombia.

Federer was broken on two occasions, but managed to hit seven aces and 37 winners for victory in one hour and 47 minutes on Centre Court.

"It's great coming back after winning Wimbledon, but it's so much harder to do it again in the first round knowing that every match for me is like a final. I'm really relieved and hoping to keep it up," Roger said.

World No. 1 Federer will next play Julien Benneteau, the Frenchman who took him to five sets in the Wimbledon third round last month. Benneteau, who beat Russian Mikhail Youzhny 7-5, 6-3.

After securing the first set 6-3 in 33 minutes games went with serve to 3-all in the second set before a toddler in the crowd decided they’d had enough of Centre Court action for the day.

The umpire drew laughter when he politely asked the crying child for quiet and while the noise seemed to disturb Falla, it did little to curb the concentration of Federer, used to the sound of his own twin toddlers.

He went on to break the Falla serve and held on the back of a brilliant chipped backhand drop-shot winner and another off the forehand side for 5-3.

Up a set and a break, Falla soon found himself down three match points on serve, his Olympic singles campaign seemingly destined for a straight sets drubbing.

A purple path of six straight points though allowed the Colombian to hold serve and put pressure on the top seed as he attempted to serve it out.

The frustration of three missed opportunities clearly weighed on Federer. He dropped serve, bringing the crowd roaring to life as Falla levelled at 5-5.

For the second service game in succession Falla fought back from 0-40 to hold serve before a shanked forehand from a rattled Federer handed him the second set 7-5.

A break at 4-3 and Federer could once more sense the finish line. A cat-and-mouse point at net had the crowd standing after Federer ended it with a commanding smash.

Moments later, the crowd would rise once more – a standing ovation as both players left the court, Federer the victor in a high-quality tussle after an hour and 47 minutes.

Date: 28th July 2012, Source: Wimbledon and ATP


Post a Comment