Federer cruises in Cincinnati opener

World No. 1 Roger Federer began his campaign for a fifth Western & Southern Open title by cruising past Alex Bogomolov Jr. 6-3, 6-2 in his second-round match on Wednesday evening in Cincinnati.

Federer wrapped up the victory in one hour, hitting 31 winners and breaking the Russian three times from four opportunities. He saved Bogomolov’s lone break point chance with an ace in the final game of the match.

"I'm very happy. It was a quick match, a good one for me," said Federer. "I served well. I was able to play some good points on the offensive, and overall I'm very pleased because I don't know Bogomolov that well.  I've only played him once, and that was so long time ago I hardly remember. I didn't know what to expect, to be honest.

"Obviously the turnaround from grass to hard court might not be an easy one this year.The ball definitely bounces so much higher here and plays much faster than Wimbledon, so it just takes some getting used to.  I'm happy I was able to find a way."

The Swiss, who celebrated his 31st birthday last week, is making his 12th appearance at this ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament and won titles here in 2005, ’07, and ’09-10. He next faces Australian Bernard Tomic, the youngest player in the singles draw at 19 years of age, whom he has defeated in their two previous meetings.

"Obviously he likes the big stage," said Federer. "He likes playing against the best players. That's what gets him going right now.  So it's going to be a difficult match for me, I do believe."

Date: 16th August 2012, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment