Out against Murray in Shanghai semis

Roger was defeated 4-6, 4-6 by Andy Murray in the semis of the Shanghai Masters today.

Roger had trouble with his serve on numerous occasions today, committing three successive double faults in the middle of the opening set. He did manage a re-break to make up for the loss of his opening serve to level at 1-1, but Murray secured another break to take a 3-2 lead which proved enough to capture the first set. The second set started with a seemingly interminable opening game (18 minutes). Murray scored the first break - after a 40-0 lead on Roger's serve - to again take a 3-2 lead and finally the match.

"He didn't serve that well for him tonight, so I was able to be very aggressive on his second serve," explained Murray. "He maybe slowed down his first serve a little bit, so I was able to take a few more chances. Obviously that helped. I went for it, like I did the past few times I played against him, and it worked tonight. When you're beating the best player of all time probably, it's obviously going to be special."

By reaching the quarter-finals this week, Federer guaranteed he will top the South African Airways ATP Rankings for a 300th week on Monday. The Swiss is locked in battle with Djokovic to finish as the year-end World No. 1 and will continue his quest at the Swiss Indoors Basel.

"It was a bit up and down, too up and down for my taste," said Federer. "To probably beat him tonight, I played okay at times, but overall Andy was just the better player and he deserved to win at the end really."

"It's been an OK week overall. I played all right. I didn't play great. But I did come here and reach the 300 weeks. I guess I have to be happy with that. I wish I could have played better tonight against Andy and pushed him further, even though it was somewhat close. I know as well that it could have gone the other way as well, it could have been even more one sided. I tried hard, and that's all I could do tonight."



Date: 13th October 2012, Source: RF Official and ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment