Roger Federer, the 'laid back' family man

Roger Federer enters Rogers Cup bidding for a third title at the Canadian ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event. Ahead of his run, the 32 year old shared insight about how his approach to the sport has evolved in this stage of his career.

“I feel more laid back today than I ever have been," said Federer. "I don’t have to prove anything to anybody. For me, it’s about, ‘How do I feel in practice?’ ‘What’s my motivation?’ I can analyse things much more clearly than I ever have.

“I am not in a hectic place. When i was younger, I felt more pressure to do what people said,” said Federer. “Now I go my pace and I enjoy the process. I love to go back to places like Toronto. I see the positive sides.

“I am ready to attack in the second part of the season. I can already say that it has overall been a good season, I am happy because physically I feel well and I managed to play at a high level. I enjoy playing even more now that I finally solved the problems I had at my back last year.”

Also a positive for Federer is the recent addition to his family. The Swiss and his wife, Mirka, welcomed their second set of twins, boys Leo and Lenny, on 6 May. After Federer made a run to the Wimbledon final, finishing runner-up to Novak Djokovic, the World No. 3 looked forward to spending some time away from the sport.

“It’s been a great few months waiting. When the boys arrived, seeing the reaction of the girls and seeing how the new dynamics would be as a family. It’s been incredibly nice, said Federer. “We’ve had a beautiful last few weeks after Wimbledon when we could really spend quality time away from all the tennis tournaments. It’s been great. I love it.”

This week, as the second seed, Federer opens his Toronto campaign against the winner of wild card Peter Polansky and Jerzy Janowicz, and is projected to clash in the quarter-finals with fifth seed David Ferrer.

Date: 4th August 2014, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment