Roger Federer takes on Toronto Maple Leafs in a hockey challenge

Roger Federer swapped his tennis racquet for a hockey stick on Sunday at the Rexall Centre as the Toronto Maple Leafs took on stars of the ATP World Tour on a transformed centre court.

Federer joined the likes of Radek Stepanek, Jack Sock, Eric Butorac, Peter Polansky, Nenad Zimonjic and Treat Huey in the fun hockey game against the Maple Leafs, who were all wearing RF branded baseball caps. ATP Executive Chairman and President Chris Kermode even donned a jersey and jumped in to play.

After his teammates repeatedly set him up for shots on goal, Federer made his last effort count, rifling home his shot in the dying seconds of the game.

“It’s great fun doing this kind of stuff,” said Federer. “Getting hockey and tennis together on a centre court that they built specially; I think is great. I had a lot of fun meeting all the guys. They’re so relaxed.

“I’ve always been a big hockey fan. I can’t skate at all actually. I can’t stop so I have to go in circles. I used to play a little bit of unihockey, we call it in Europe. That’s what I did for warm-ups in tennis back in the day. I’ve always collected NHL jerseys; I’ve got a nice collection so far.”



The 32-year-old Federer is a two-time former champion at the Rogers Cup, lifting the trophy in Toronto in 2004 (d. Roddick) and 2006 (d. Gasquet). The Swiss is seeded second at the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament next week and will open his campaign against either Polansky or Jerzy Janowicz.

Date: 3rd August 2014, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment